Many of you commented on the last post I did, so I thought you might like to see this little one I have been working on.

This is a small piece of Radiance fabric (which unfortunately is no long available) and is a mix of cotton and silk. I tied it and dyed it at home among a number of other pieces.  It measures         and when it has its binding on it will be going into an exhibition of a number of pieces produced by the members of a longarm group I am a member of. The exhibition is with Grosvenor Shows so you will be able to see all of them.  Together with the vintage pieces we did (but that is another post).

The exhibition is the result of a challenge we have each year.  They are personal challenges and not competitive in any way.  The aim is to increase your own personal skill level and to just have a go and enjoy the process.  If you are in a quilting group you could do this yourselves too, its lots of fun.

The challenge this time was to use the shapes created by the dyes in which to place the quilting designs.

When I looked at it I could see a spiky shape in the centre and this was surrounded by 4 heart shapes.  so that was my starting point.  However the hearts were dissected by curved shapes creating a curved octagon shape.  Which to choose, decisions, decisions.  Well why not both 🙂  So that was the starting point.

I used a stencil for the centre feather design and a couple of circle rulers to highlight it.  I used a different stencil to create the heart, but only used a part of it and then embellished it during the stitching.  The heart is split by the octagon, and then a fill highlights the shapes created and is stitched with one of the colours in the fabric. Oh and lots and lots of micro pebbles for the green area.

The next two curvy outlines would not fit any rulers and curves I have as they differed in thicknesses and depths, so to keep it organic these area were freehand stitched and also differ in thicknesses.  This created an area to fill which had circular looking coloured areas.  Now if you know me, you know I love my feathers, so I had to put them somewhere.  This was the perfect spot and I stitched a breakaway curve in each circular area to tie the together.

Next up the turquoise curves, – they were outlined with rulers and I then used a mix of grid work and continuous curves to create areas mimicking the curved outline.  And of course, lots more pebbles in the area between them.

So all that was l left was the outer corners.  The wiggly stripes were outlined again and the corners were broken down with 1/2″ stripes and each stripe filled with a different design but already used in one form or another in the central areas.

And there you have it.  It is faced and has a hanging sleeve on it and will be at the Grosvenor shows, along with lots more very soon.

Hope this encourages some of you to give it a go.  Let me know if you do, and as usual, if you have any questions, please ask.

Responses