Bradford and Watling BOM
Port and Starboard Block 4

Although this package arrived in early December, Christmas and New Year delayed my review on this block but I’ve finally been able to complete it.

Once again, when I opened the package, the pieces for Block 4 were neatly presented and labelled in packets.

 I took all the pieces out, labelling each piece as I had done before (and now I see is advised in the instructions), and then I laid them out according to the beginning of the instructions so I could check colours and how they were going to fit together.

The instructions in fact suggested to work in blocks and therefore only to open the bags of the pieces I needed for each block, so having understood the eventual layout, I put all but pieces A back in their packets so that I didn’t get them mixed up.

I could now easily see which pairs of triangle went together and I went ahead and pieced them.


I was able to chain-piece these which made it quicker to complete and with less extra threads to finish off. Instructions to chain-piece were also provided.

Here they are sewn and pressed.

Next steps using pieces B and C. I noticed matching up that the piece C didn’t quite match at the point of piece B but I remembered from previous blocks that this is something I don’t need to worry about as it will work out when attaching the other triangles.

Although the instructions advised to press the seam to the dark side, I found that it was better for me to press the seam towards the small triangles. This helped when I came to add the other triangles and ultimately match points.

I continued to add the other triangles to complete these sections. I could also see how the triangles now matched up at the top.


Again I pressed the seams towards the small triangles giving a flat seam showing the ‘cross-over’ at the point which will help me when I come to attach this block to other pieces.

Now to the last block using pieces D and E. The instructions included a useful hint to fold the square (piece E) and the triangles (pieces D) in half to give a small crease that would help match up the sides. I did this and then added the triangles to opposite sides. Again, there was a note not to worry about matching up exactly at the corners of the square.

The block was completed. I did again decide to press towards the small squares although this wasn’t necessarily the darkest fabric. I also noticed once again that when aligning the second pair of triangles, they did match up.

Looking good.

The next step was to attach the units on the right hand side to those in the centre. This involved matching up points so the tips in the instructions were helpful here.

Having seen these rows, the instructions advised to press the seams alternately so that when the rows are joined, the seams will nest.

Now to join the rows but taking care to match seams and points. I took the advice in the instructions to stitch across the points and check that they match before stitching the whole seam.

Completed block. Still only 12 ¼ ins square but there will be some ‘wiggle-room’ when joining blocks.

These are the 4 completed blocks.


I’ve really enjoyed making these blocks. Each one hasn’t taken a great deal of time, especially as the instructions have been so comprehensive. It has been excellent too that the pieces are pre-cut so I know they will all be accurate. This really is a great way, particularly for beginners, to develop lots of new skills in quilting without the added worry of choosing, buying and cutting fabric!