This painting, the Entrance to the Port at Honfleur is the one I chose to be my inspiration for the wall hanging. (See Sewing meets Seurat – Part One).

The next step was adding the detail. Although Seurat’s painting style is quite relaxed his observation is exceptional and I did simplify some of the background to make this more accessible.

Below is the fabric that I created in blog 2

When I refer to Bondaweb, I will be honest, I have no idea if it’s Bondaweb I have been using. This is a symptom of lockdown! In my lovely local crafts shop it is in a box next to the needles on the shelf. I just take it down, take it to the counter and they cut what I want!! It is an iron on, double sided glued paper for applique. Sometimes the tack is not permanent but it is excellent in stopping fabric from fraying. Come back Rose Crafts (Midsomer Norton).

I have managed to just stretch the last of my supplies to finish this panel. Can’t wait until shops can open again, I am getting very nostalgic for standing in our (socially distanced) queue!

For this I went back to the newspaper pattern I had made. I didn’t want to cut this up so I traced the shapes onto some tracing paper and cut them out. Once each piece of fabric had one layer of “Bondaweb” ironed on, I reversed the tracing paper shape and drew round this onto the paper on the reverse of the fabric and cut out. After peeling the paper away to reveal the other glue surface, I then ironed each shape onto the background. I did these a few at a time. Some of the more complicated buildings needed to be created in layers.

I used Gutermann cotton hand quilting thread to sew around the edges of each shape. They’re not all completely straight, some of this could be my photos, but I really like the lighthouse and the yachts.

Once all the applique shapes were attached, I then wanted to add the details using simple embroidery stitches. I used a quilting pen to mark out the embroidery. This is one which disappears with heat.

I normally use Sylko thread, but a good friend of mine had kindly sent me a parcel of mixed threads (thank you Ruth) which has been invaluable over the months of lockdown. I had also learnt from someone who is really good at embroidery not to always use 3 strands but 2 (1 even for really fine work). This was good advice as it gave me a lot more control over the finer ropes etc. in this design.

 

The ropes are all stem stitch, which very conveniently looks just like rope. I have varied the colour to stop it all looking too dark against the light colours of the design. The windows, doors and tiny lighthouse are satin stitch. I really like the tiny lighthouse even though it’s not completely even. 

Next time there will be a tiny bit more painting and then onto the quilting.

https://ukqu.co.uk/sewing-meets-seurat-part-one/

https://ukqu.co.uk/sewing-meets-seurat-part-2/

Responses