I have been quilting for 3 years now and have ‘churned out’ lots of quilts in that time. Whenever I had completed a top, I always sandwiched it using safety pins and nothing else.

Originally, I used to roll around on the floor pinning the three layers together, oh boy, my knees didn’t like that very much!

Later, once I got my sewing room, I would layer up the sandwich and pin it on top of my cutting table, my knees were much happier with this, although I still got an odd wrinkle or tuck in the backing.

After talking to my friends and reading posts on the UKQU site, I decided to invest in some 505 spray and to give it a trial. I also kept seeing posts where people had used the ‘pool noodle’ method with great results, hey presto I had a light bulb moment and thought I couldn’t go wrong if I tried both of these methods to sandwich my quilt, I was bound to get a smooth backing and my quilt would be lighter when quilting it.

Off I went to a DIY store and purchased 6 pipe lagging tubes which I taped together in twos to get a longer length.

I cut and ironed the backing for the quilt, and then cut the wadding and I was ready to rock and roll.

I rolled the quilt top onto one of the tubes, being careful to keep it as straight as possible and pulling straight any wrinkles. Next, I rolled on the backing making sure that it was right side out and as straight as I could get it. Lastly, I rolled on my wadding, I was so pleased with myself.

Right, now to baste. I laid out the backing unrolling it about 18 inches and straightening the fabric, on top of this I rolled out a little bit of the wadding and lastly the quilt top, making sure that everything was straight and lined up.

I gently lifted the wadding off the backing and sprayed the 505 over the backing and smoothed the wadding down over it and then I sprayed the wadding and smoothed the top down over it. I was so happy with how easy this was and was mentally kicking myself for not doing this earlier.

I carried on with this process until I was just over halfway done and then the ‘uh oh’ moment struck.

I realised that I had rolled the quilt top and the backing on the tubes length ways and the wadding width ways and I was running out of wadding!

I took a deep breath and another deep breath before I looked at the already basted sandwich and the three rolls laid out in front of me, oh no, how do I fix this sticky mess?!?!

I slowly started to peel apart the quilt top from the wadding and rolling it back onto the tube, it was so sticky and tacky and was sticking together on the tube. Next, I unpeeled the wadding from the backing with the same tacky mess and rolled the backing up. Lastly, I unrolled the rest of the wadding from the tube and re rolled it going length ways.

And I started the sandwiching process all over again by unrolling 18 inches of the backing which was harder to do as it was all sticking together and to my fingers as I worked with it, then the wadding and lastly the top. I’m glad to say that I did not have to respray much, it took some time, but I managed to baste the entire quilt together.

I had to get out some wipes and wipe down my cutting table, mats and surrounding area as it was tacky.

However, I have to say, I will definitely use this method again, as the sandwich held together perfectly during the quilting process and I didn’t get any rucks or tucks in the backing. I will just have to pay more attention to which way I roll everything onto the tubes going forward. I found that the quilt was so much lighter to work with and this put less tension on my shoulders when quilting.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has had a mishap with 505, so come on, tell me what you did…..

Responses