Firstly thank you for all the lovely comments.  One of the things I aim to do with my blogs is debunk some of the thoughts and comments that I hear at some of the shows when people are stood in front of quilts like mine.  The most common of these is ‘It done by computer – its to accurate’.  What I aim to show is that the accuracy you see is only achieved by hard work and many many many hours of practice and determination, by thinking outside the box, and by being brave enough to give things a go, even when they scare you, and you have a lot of working out to do before putting needle to fabric.

So having said that let me carry on from where I left off.

I left saying that after marking up the quilt again with background stencils, all the background stitching was finally put in.  It was then ready to get squared up, prepped and trimmed ready to put all the fancy bits on. This is hard on the knees and back but an essential part of the process.   Oh and at this stage I am really loving the way the back is looking too. 🙂

I also left showing you a prototype of the scallops that were to be placed on the outer edges of the quilt.  Now, you might think that knowing I have to make 64 of these would be madness enough, but no.  I decided that it needed more. The colours had to be taken right to the edge.  So out came the dye buckets and dye and more pieces of pfd Radiance and I created enough coloured fabric to create an amount of piping to sit in front of the binding and triangles to peep through at the back of the scallops.

The madness really set in when I also decided that the piping needed base fabric beading in the middle, as well as creating the beading to go around each of the scallops.

Now I know that over the past year or so these fabric covered beads have created a bit of a stir, so if you want to learn how to do them then look at Bethanne Nemesh at WhiteArbour Quilting where you can find instruction books and lessons on how to create it.

Over the course of a few evenings 64 sets of 39 beads were created and enough to go around the whole quilt and a day making 60 triangles and the piping.

Then it was a matter of putting them all together and making sure it was all equally spaced and looked like I had envisioned it. This is the really fiddly part, lots more sewing on the domestic and lots of hand stitching involved as well.

 

Scallops and the little peeks of colour and the binding are all then attached.

And once the binding is stitched down at the back its time to breath, it’s all finished. Phew.  I keep saying that I am going to keep a log of the hours,days,weeks it takes to create these, and after starting off with all good intentions, I get carried away with the stitching and not the counting.  One day I will though, I promise.

So here it is, Tranquillity, all finished.  I am proud to say that it has only been entered in two competitions and has gained 6 awards being 3rd in Category at FOQ.  and at the Great Northern Quilt Show it gained Overall Champion, First Wholecloth, First Large Wall Hanging, best Professional Longarm, best Custom Handguided Longarm, and a Judges Choice.

Yes I love the back also, and I would also like to give a shout out to the Quit Angels at FOQ who spent hours building up their muscles lifting the quilt corners to show the back as it caused a bit of a stir.

I hope you have enjoyed this journey with me.  I am currently on another journey and when its done, I will share again.  In the meantime, I will post about other things.

Thank you for reading.

Lynda xx

PS The limelight was shared with Drago, who received a 3rd in large wall hanging.

Responses