Bradford and Watling’s BOM
Flock of HSTs Block 3

With lots of recent family commitments, I wasn’t able to get round to making this block until a couple of weeks after I received it but as before, I was eager to complete it to add to the two previous blocks.

As with earlier blocks, the pieces arrived in nicely labelled clear packets although this time there were five packets – one labelled A and the other 4 all labelled B. I was rather apprehensive when I saw four packets all labelled B as I thought I’d immediately get confused, but once I read the instructions and looked at the diagrams, it was much easier to understand. As suggested in the instructions, I paired up the colours and laid them out so that I could start sewing.

One of the things I do love with these instructions is the inclusion of tips to help make life easier, and here was a case in point. The next step was to sew each pair of triangles together – and the suggestion of ‘chain-piecing’ so that I wasn’t having to start and finish stitching on each triangle, and have the issue of the fabric being ‘gobbled up’ by the machine at the start of stitching each piece, made this stage much quicker and easier to complete.

As in previous blocks, the instructions mentioned pressing to achieve a square – I had realised that these seams are sewn on the bias and it is easy to distort the shapes when pressing, so I finger-pressed first and then used some Best Press spray and pressed lightly to make sure the square shape was maintained.

The next stage of the instructions explained how to lay out the square units to identify which sides need to be sewn together. I noticed here that the image in the instructions was using different fabric from those in my ‘kit’ and so I played around with the layout and colours until I was happy with the way they looked.

suggested block layout

Here are a couple of my test layouts.

I would like to add at this point that having subsequently contacted Emma at Bradford and Watling, we realised I did not have the correct instructions with the colourway I was using, and I have now been assured that in future, if this happens, I must contact Emma immediately as the instructions should clearly show how to set out each piece for each colourway.

The instructions to create the completed block were very clear with lots of diagrams.

Although the advice on pressing was, as usual, to press to the ‘dark side’, I decided to have a go at pressing each column alternate ways so that when I matched up the columns, the seams would nest.

I was pleased with the final outcome, even though I’m still having issues with obtaining a perfect 12½ “ square. I’m just hoping with all the seams that there will be a little ‘give’ when I come to join them together.

Here’s an image of the 3 blocks I have now completed. They are looking good!

Responses