Forgotten Seamstress – next discussion point …

5 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Sally Dodsworth 2 years ago
    • Arlene McLeish
      Participant
      @arlene

Hello,

So hopefully by now you’ve read ‘The Forgotten Seamstress’ and have come up with your own ideas…..

What did you think of the ending?

Was it predictable?

Would you have preferred it to be more ambiguous?

• Frances Darvill
      Participant
      @frankied

Sorry Arlene,
      Mine is still not here, think its coming by carrier pigeon 🙂

• Maria Pomirska
      Participant
      @ciociamynia

I enjoyed this book.
      Really sad thing is that when I was a medical student doing my psychiatry block there still were mental hospital patients then in their 80s (1981/2) who had been admitted by their families because they were unmarried and pregnant . At around this time ‘care in the community’ was being talked about, my teachers pointed out that these ladies had been institutionalised for so long that there was now no way they could cope on their own in the outside world….. all those lives destroyed

• Frances Darvill
        Participant
        @frankied

Maria,
        Such a waste, over something that must have been tough enough for them in the first place without there families locking them up, really heartbreaking.

Lots of love
        Francesxx

• Arlene McLeish
        Participant
        @arlene

Maria, that’s absolutely fascinating! I’ve seen a couple of documentaries which indicated that this practice wasn’t uncommon, but it’s always interesting to know of a first-hand source. I find it frightening that such things ever occurred – and presumably were though to be ‘for the best’ at the time.
        I wonder if there are similar modern practices, or relatively recent ones, that will be reviled in a few more decades?

• Sally Dodsworth
      Participant
      @sallykwaltonhotmail-com

Just finished and loved it, yes the ending was predictable but I still enjoyed it. I don’t like ambiguity, I need to know so it was good for me.
      Not my usual type of book so thanks for the recommendation x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.