The book for July is ….

7 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Zoe 2 years ago
    • Arlene McLeish
      Participant
      @arlene

‘The Quilter’s Apprentice’ by Jennifer Chiaverini.

July is a manic month for me – it’s almost summer holidays, but not quite. Daily life carries on as usual, although this year the heat seems to be making every task take twice as long!

So the book for this month is a relatively straight forward read, and many of you may well already have read it.

The author has written 27 books in total, including quilt pattern books and historical novels, and ‘The Quilter’s Apprentice’ was her first novel. It tells the story of how Sarah McClure struggles to find a fulfilling job. In the meantime, she agrees to help the elderly Sylvia Compson prepare her family estate, Elm Creek Manor, for sale. As part of her salary, Sarah is taught how to quilt by this grumpy older woman, who turns out to be a master quilter (hence the ‘apprentice’ of the title).

As their friendship deepens, Mrs. Compson tells Sarah the truth about why she wants to sell Elm Creek Manor and in return, Sarah looks for a way to bring life and joy back to the estate, with the aim that Mrs Compson can keep her home – and Sarah can keep her dear friend.

For me, this is a ‘Marmite’ book for many quilters. I’ve met many people who are committed Chiaverini fans and who revel in the homely stories, and others who dismiss the novels as utter tosh.

The book is easily available both as a text and on Kindle.

First question – did you like it or loathe it? And why?????

• Frances Darvill
      Participant
      @frankied

I love it, mainly because I would love a group of quilting friends (who i see in person as opposed to just chatting to on the internet) and lets be honest who wouldnt want to live and work in a place like Elm Creek manor. It was also the first fictional book i had ever read about quilting. However Im still going to read this one again this month with you all. Thank you Arlene for listing the book for this month I really enjoy all the books we read in the book club 🙂
      Lots of love
      Francesxx

• Arlene McLeish
      Participant
      @arlene

I have to confess that I too love the idea of meeting with such an amicable group of women, all of whom are able to make time on a regular basis to quilt.
      And for me this was also the first ‘quilt’ novel that I read.
      I’m enjoying re-reading it…

• Sally Dodsworth
      Participant
      @sallykwaltonhotmail-com

I really enjoyed this book when I read it last year but felt I had to stop with just this one and not continue with the series…I’m sure I would get bored and that that would spoil the enjoyment I got out of this one.

• Arlene McLeish
        Participant
        @arlene

Hi!!!

Some interesting ideas about whether or not to read other books in the series. I did find that if I read several in quick succession I got quite bored, but one every now and then worked fine! I found the Christmas one to be the most disappointing – I hadn’t quite registered that it was really a cook book with some small snippets of stories here and there.
        I haven’t yet read the Aloha quilt – nor made a Hawaiian quilt!

• Frances Darvill
      Participant
      @frankied

My favourite one of the series has to be the Aloha Quilt, I learnt so much about Hawaii and that would be my ideal holiday to go Zip lining in Hawaii 🙂
      Lots of love
      Francesxx

• Jayne fenner
      Participant
      @littlejay68

I found it quite a gentle book to just sit in the sun and read over the weekend. I might read another one but agree i might not enjoy them if i read them all in one go, every now and then would be nice.

• Zoe
      Participant
      @zoe4774

I’ve just finished The Quilter’s Apprentice. I really enjoyed it and would love to be part of a quilting group like The Tangled Web Quilters. My mum started quilting by going to an evening group at different ladies homes. I also want to start up a business like Elm Creek Quilts!
      Zoe

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.