The Forgotten Seamstress

9 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Frances Darvill 4 years, 1 month ago
    • Arlene McLeish
      Participant
      @arlene

So how did you get on?

I hadn’t read this book before, so had no preconceived ideas about it.

One of the first things that struck me was the author’s use of different narrative voices to tell the story – so we learnt about events from different points of view.

What did you think of this?

Does it work well?

How would the story have been changed if there had been just one point of view?

Looking forward to seeing what you thought!

• Heather Stern
      Participant
      @heatherjoy

This is probably not a book I would have chosen but I did find it a page turner! I thought the use of the interview tapes as a method of getting over the information was a bit clunky, but effective enough.
      The plot was just about conceivable, but I knew immediately who Margaret was, those descriptions of the highly intelligent blond man with a wonderful smile were heavy handed, and surely terribly obvious?
      Anyway it was readable, light and fun and talked of fabric and loving stitching, not a Chiaverini, but a pleasant afternoon read.

• Arlene McLeish
        Participant
        @arlene

Interesting points, Heather. I have to admit that the use of the cassette recorder was, as you say ‘a little clunky (I found myself wondering why the interviewer hadn’t used a dictaphone, and why the interviews weren’t transcribed in the first place if they were for a Ph.D.!). However, I did enjoy the different narrative voices. Sometimes it isn’t always clear who the different speakers are, and I thought it was quite clear here.

• Frances Darvill
      Participant
      @frankied

Still waiting for my book to arrive.

Francesxx

• Zoe
      Participant
      @zoe4774

I didn’t mind the cassette tape and looked forward to the chapters where we found out about Maria’s life in her own words. I enjoyed the book but I didn’t like Caroline much. Seeing the quilt on Liz Trenow’s website helped me, I couldn’t understand why they were having so much trouble getting to the ‘lozenges’. I think I’d like to have a go making my own memory quilt.

• Arlene McLeish
      Participant
      @arlene

Hi Zoe,

I also found it much easier once I’d seen a photo of ‘the quilt’. I’ve got as far as buying some fabric for the centre panel – and that’s it….

Arlene

• Zoe
      Participant
      @zoe4774

Hi Arlene

That’s further than I’ve got! Maybe this summer I will get some time to plan something at least.

Zoe

• Frances Darvill
      Participant
      @frankied

Finally got my book im about half way through it, not sure it will be a favourite (I think it jumps back and forth too much for my simple braincell). Any ideas what the next book will be since we are nearly in July 🙂
      Lots of love
      Francesxx

• Zoe
      Participant
      @zoe4774

Hi Frances

I’d read your other posts and wondered if your book had arrived! I’m looking forward to finding out the July book too, it’s forcing me to make the time to read!

Zoe 😊

• Frances Darvill
      Participant
      @frankied

Hi Zoe, No it didnt I had to get a refund and then reordered it from someone else, that one did arrive and I have nearly finished it 🙂
      Lots of love
      Francesxx

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.