The other night I lay in bed tossing and turning thinking about my upcoming holiday and how I was going to transport a mini quilt I was working on without folding it and messing it up (lots of little pieces arranged on it). At 2 am I decided to get up and tackle the problem head on and make a travel folder for the work. No time like the present!

So… I crept up to my sewing room, making sure I didn’t wake anyone up, and I went to work finding fabric that I could use.  I was looking for the left over fabric from the design wall I made but gave up as it was no-where to be seen (I will find it and make version 2 with that).  Instead I found some lovely cotton lining fabric and a linen cow print I had used to cover my project book (now I have a matching set).

The intention was to make this big enough to carry a slightly larger than A4 piece of work.  I also wanted it wide enough to carry 12.5” blocks or other work in progress (WIPs).  The measurement I came up with was 26” by 15” and this is what I cut the outer fabric and lining to.  The outer piece was quilted to a layer of wadding.  This was a very rough piece of quilting, simply stitching around and between the cows, but it did the job.

I decided that flaps on one half might be a good idea to stop work slipping out in transit so I cut out 2 pieces at 11.5” by 5” and 1 piece 13.5” by 5”.   The 2 short edges and 1 long edge were turned over and stitched.  These were positioned on the right side of the lining (right sides up) and secured with pins.  Next I added ribbon for ties to the short edges (2 pieces each side, placed 4″ in from the short edges). Finally I lay the outer piece on top of the lining (right sides facing again) and stitched (1/4″) around 3 complete sides, and across the bottom I simply stitched a few inches in from each corner.   The corners were trimmed, the piece turned inside out and the edges pressed. The open edges were folded in 1/4” and pressed. 

This now made a very floppy carry case so to make it firmer I cut two pieces of cardboard to line each side. The size of each piece was 12.5” by 11.5”  and these were inserted between the outer and inner piece leaving a gap between them. I closed the bottom edge by hand stitching along the fold marks and then edge stitched around the whole case, taking care to move the cardboard when it was too close to the needle.  The final stage was to simply machine stitch down the centre fold to hold the cardboard in place. Not a bad effort for the middle of the night! 

 

This case is going to be very useful for transporting projects safely from place to place and when opened up it gives a nice surface to work on. I may make a version 2 because, in the light of day, there are always things that could have done better.  

Next time I may….

  • Make it slightly bigger to more comfortably fit a larger than A4 piece of work.
  • Use lining fabric produced for design walls so pieces don’t slip so easily and this way you can use it to lay out a design.
  • Use Velcro fastening instead of ties.  Ties look pretty but I think Velcro may make a sturdier fastening.
  • It maybe an idea to put a carry handle on…. the possibilities for adding to the design are endless.

This does fit nicely into the Quilting Bag I made (click here for link), and I could have made it out of the same fabric so it was  coordinated…. lots of ideas and so little time! 

 

Responses

  1. Carol baron

    Snap. Without seeing this, a few months ago I made something very similar for the same purpose. I did use flannelette on the inside and put a pocket on the outside to hold pattern or small ruler. Works a treat to keep blocks in place. Great minds I think …

    1. Ruth Garner Post author

      Hi Carol. That is a coincidence! Flannelette is a really good idea as it does need something to ‘cling’ to the pieces it is carrying. I tried to find some spare
      fabric used for a hanging wall but couldn’t find it. A pocket in the outside is a really good idea as well. Thanks for sharing your ideas.