Well, the shout went out for anyone interested in taking part in a sew-a-row where you had to design the row, sew the row and write up the pattern for it. After taking part in a sew-a-row a few years ago and enjoying every minute of it I just knew that this was for me.
After putting our names forward we were split into two groups and I was assigned to sew-a-row 1 and this is where all those who were taking part were split with our own secret facebook page being set up with everything being discussed on this page only and nowhere else. Our own little secret society, oh what fun!! We were given the theme ice and knowing that the sew-a-row 2 would be fire.
Once we knew our theme the team bandied about with colours and a colour spectrum of blues was decided, this was getting better as my favourite colour was chosen. Then the discussions started on how we would proceed with this, one of the early suggestions was houses with the final option was decided that we could create anything we wanted to fit in with the title of ice and use any method and colour combinations of our own personal choosing.
Order of making was decided with me coming fourth in the group and it was agreed that each person, in turn, would put a photograph of their row on the page for all to see together with any helpful information i.e. fabrics, methods etc. upon completion, and before posting on to the next person on the list. From these titbits I was able to go on and design what I would do and made the foundation of the row with a snow bottom and a sky top ready for my design to be added, this would be done once I received the others and I was able to tone in the blues I had waiting.
Being fourth in this process, 2nd from last, I was in quite a privileged position in having 3 made rows coming to me, although they were delivered on a day I was out and it was another two days before I could get to the sorting office to collect during their opening hours. I was exceptionally (for me)restrained in not opening until I had driven home and locked in, in secret, before opening, after all this is all hush hush and I didn’t want anyone walking in on my guilty pleasure!
Well, I wish I could have had my reaction filmed; I was totally unprepared for how lovely these 3 rows looked in the ‘flesh’ so much better than what I had seen in the photographs. I ooed and ahhed over the colours, the methods used, the designs, I was speechless here all alone. I laid them on the living room floor and ran upstairs to get my foundation row and laid it in between to ensure it fitted with the others.
I had already decided that my row would be done with hand applique, with the option of using a machine if wanted, I’m glad I made this decision as the previous made rows were all different methods to mine, although I prefer needle turn I didn’t have the time for this so opted for raw edged with blanket stitch as my method for all pieces with highlighted work in back stitch. The first pieces I attached were the igloos and when fixed in place I laid them all out again and it was here that I had a wobble thinking my row wasn’t good enough to join with the others. This wobble lasted a good few days and I ended up showing my sister to gauge her reaction, although she doesn’t craft she did managed to shake my wobble off and I set to the markings on the igloos, once this was stitched I could see that the row was going to come together as I imagined.
I manged to get the row completed a couple of days prior to the end of the month, although I didn’t get to embellish as I was hoping I blame my wobble for taking up valuable time! I photographed the row and another one taken of the four together and put these onto our secret page for all to see and posted off to Helen for the completion stages of the quilt.
I just love sew –a-rows where they are all done by other people, once a theme has been decided and colours and/or patterns chosen, the thrill of seeing each piece of work and how eventually they all slot together is like watching the last piece of a jig saw puzzle completing the whole picture.