Scrap-busting siddi-inspired goozundar mat
In this post I want to show you how I made a small mat to go under (goozundar) using scraps and inspired by the siddi technique of quilting, that I read about in Today’s Quilter magazine, edition 30. My creation is NOT attempting to be a siddi quilt, I just wanted to try out the idea of patching a shape with strips of scraps from the outside edges. Real siddi quilts also include kantha stitching, and I will try that next, to make a smaller mat to go on top of the chest.
This is the chest I want to make a mat for. It is a fair-trade item from India, so it’s appropriate that it has a mat inspired by an Indian textile technique.
It has a bowed front as you can see in this photograph:
So I turned it upside down and drew a template onto some paper. I used the back of a recycled piece of Christmas wrapping paper, it’s thinner than printer paper but stronger than tissue paper. And it’s recycling something that would otherwise be thrown away.
Next I chose a few pieces from some scraps. It’s not really going to be seen as the mat is going to be covered by the chest, but I’m practicing the technique of going around the edge and working towards the centre, rather than trying to make a piece of art. So in some ways it doesn’t matter which scraps I use, but I still want it to look nice. There were a couple of pieces that I’d made as practice for a New York Beauty quilt too, I wanted to use those particularly.
Next, I sandwiched a piece of thin wadding, followed by the backing fabric (right side up), followed by a couple of strips (wrong side up), finally the paper template, and pinned in place before sewing around, along the pencil line.
I used a short stitch length so that the paper would tear away easily.
This is how it looked after the paper had been torn off.
Then I cut small notches in the curved areas of the seam allowance.
And then I turned it the right way round, showing the starter strips.
In retrospect, the curved edge strip ends too close to the corner, but that’s why I did this small test piece, so that I can make that mistake now, instead of on an important project!
Next, I pinned the next scraps in place and sewed them to the edges using small ladder stitch.
Until the whole of the outer edge was done.
Working towards the centre pinned more scraps in place, with the raw edges pressed under.
Until I have covered the whole piece.
Finally, I attached my walking foot and used a longer stitch length to catch the edges in a random straight line style. And here is the finished mat:
On top of the chest:
And underneath, where it goozundar very nicely:
What have I learned from making this?
I have learned that I like starting at the edge and working my way towards the middle, and that it’s a great way to use up some of the scraps I can’t bear to throw away. Also, that you don’t need to follow a new technique completely, you can just take an aspect of it as inspiration. I learned that wrapping paper tears away very easily, and that it would have been quicker and easier if I had started off with scraps all the way around the outer edge before I machined the outline.
Next, I am going to make a little topper for the same chest, but I am going to finish it using kantha stitch and plan the scraps even more carefully as it will be seen.
If you like my blog please comment below, thank you 🙂